I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book, Overcoming Age Discrimination in Employment: An Essential Guide for Workers, Advocates & Employers, a timely and much needed resource to understand the major law governing age discrimination law in the United States.
This book provides an easy-to-understand overview of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA), using real cases from the federal courts and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to demonstrate how common age-related issues in the workplace are analyzed and decided under the law.
Overcoming Age Discrimination in Employment helps employers avoid costly age discrimination lawsuits, damage to reputation and unnecessary turnover at a time of increasing competition for skilled workers. It helps workers understand, confront and overcome age discrimination in employment, which can lead to job loss, a depleted savings account, forced early retirement, and years of impoverishment.
A number of factors make older workers more vulnerable to age discrimination in employment today than in the past.
A major reason why older workers face epidemic age discrimination today is that the ADEA offers far less protection to older workers than Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides to victims of employment discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, color and national origin. Meanwhile, the difficult economy since the Great Recession has given employers unprecedented incentive to replace experienced higher-paid older workers with cheap young labor. The Obama administration has not only ignored age discrimination in employment but has made the problem worse.
The book answers such questions as:
- When do ageist remarks rise to the level of illegal harassment?
- What common and often successful ploys do employers use to hide age discrimination?
- What is “reasonable” age discrimination?
- Why are employers invariably the big winners in the EEOC’s mediation and conciliation programs?
- What factors influence whether the EEOC will dismiss an age discrimination charge outright without even an investigation?
- When does an employment relationship exist?
- Can an age discrimination victim win an ADEA lawsuit and yet not qualify for any monetary damages? (Hint – Alas, yes)
Overcoming Age Discrimination in Employment should be on the bookshelf of every worker, employment law attorney, and Human Relations officer. The book is available as an e-book and in paperback format on Amazon.com.